Neighbours prevent disaster after hearing smoke alarm in Benwick home

PUBLISHED: 10:02 22 December 2014 | UPDATED: 10:02 22 December 2014

Benwick house fire

Benwick house fire

Cambs Fire & Rescue Service

A householder will be counting their blessings after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm and realised a fire had broken out in a log burner.

The quick thinking neighbour called the fire service after spotting flames inside the house at Whittlesey Road in Benwick .

Station Commander Simon Newton said: “The owners of this property were very lucky that a neighbour heard a smoke alarm sounding and upon approaching the house saw flames around the log burner.

“The fire service was called and extinguished the fire. Logs had been piled around the log burner and became hot and involved in the fire, causing it to spread.

“Thanks to the quick intervention by neighbours, minimal fire and smoke damage was caused to the property. This is a great example of why all residents should have working smoke alarms, so please make sure you test yours before Christmas.”

The incident happened on Friday December 19 at about 3.37pm and was extinguished by 4.14pm.

A crew from Whittlesey and one crew from Ramsey were called to deal with it. Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel and a jet to extinguish the blaze.

A Cambridgeshire Fire Service spokesman said the cause of the fire was accidental, by person.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Cambs Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Cambs Times