Neighbours prevent disaster after hearing smoke alarm in Benwick home
- Credit: Cambs Fire & Rescue Service
A householder will be counting their blessings after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm and realised a fire had broken out in a log burner.
The quick thinking neighbour called the fire service after spotting flames inside the house at Whittlesey Road in Benwick .
Station Commander Simon Newton said: “The owners of this property were very lucky that a neighbour heard a smoke alarm sounding and upon approaching the house saw flames around the log burner.
“The fire service was called and extinguished the fire. Logs had been piled around the log burner and became hot and involved in the fire, causing it to spread.
“Thanks to the quick intervention by neighbours, minimal fire and smoke damage was caused to the property. This is a great example of why all residents should have working smoke alarms, so please make sure you test yours before Christmas.”
You may also want to watch:
The incident happened on Friday December 19 at about 3.37pm and was extinguished by 4.14pm.
A crew from Whittlesey and one crew from Ramsey were called to deal with it. Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel and a jet to extinguish the blaze.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Man found dead in March
A Cambridgeshire Fire Service spokesman said the cause of the fire was accidental, by person.