New Artsworks centre opened by the Mayor of March
THE new Artworks service set up by Cambridgeshire Mencap was officially opened by the Mayor of March, Councillor Jan French, on Tuesday afternoon.
Artworks is an arts, crafts, drama and music based day service for children and adults with learning disabilities, and the centre in March High Street is already being used twice a week.
Pupils from the Meadowgate School at Wisbech enjoy its facilities every Friday, and there are adult sessions held each Tuesday, with free taster sessions also on offer.
The building is also used by Cambridgeshire Mencap’s adult befriending scheme, for its monthly activities group and volunteer training.
Helen Thurley, head of community services at Cambridgeshire Mencap said: “The mammoth task of getting the service up and running has been helped by the generosity of local and regional businesses.
You may also want to watch:
“The March based Community Re-paint provided us with free paint, while Biotechnology company Amgen sent a team to help decorate the building.”
March charity Open Chest presented Artworks with a �500 cheque, which will be used to help create a sensory room that is due to be ready for use early next year.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
Lynn Jenkins, general manager of Cambridgeshire Mencap, thanked Fenland District Council for its support, and Trustee Margaret Oatey said: “It’s like Chrismas has come early.”
Creative arts tutor Deb Matthysz said: “The charity hopes we will soon be able to open five days a week. We hope the service will continue to enrich the lives of people with learning disabilities in Fenland and across Cambridgeshire.”
To find out more, or to book a free taster session, contact Deb on 01354 655487 or email email@example.com