New batch of Cambridgeshire firefighters ready to save the day
- Credit: Archant
FIREFIGHTING crews in Cambridgeshire have boosted their ranks after a batch of new recruits joined the county’s on-call team.
Alycia Spencer, Chris Smith, Daniel Hall, Darrell Allen, Grant Tash, Joe Mabbutt and Nick Northrop all qualified as on-call firefighters at Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service (CFRS) after completing an intensive two-week training course in Huntingdon.
The new recruits all have separate day jobs but are expected to respond to a pager alert and get ready to tackle a fire at a moment’s notice.
Plumber Daniel Hall from March signed on to become an on-call firefighter after a recruitment day at Sainsbury’s.
He said: “I wasn’t happy in my old job and it’s every little boy’s dream to be a firefighter.
“I thought it would take years of training and that you would need lots of qualifications but it was really hands-on.
“It’s not all pen and paper but really practical, which I liked.”
- 1 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 2 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 3 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 4 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 5 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 6 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 7 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 8 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 9 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 10 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
The 21 year-old is on-call at March Fire Station for about 80 hours a week, mainly outside work hours, and he explained you can be summoned at any moment,
He said: “One of my first shouts was on Christmas day and we had literally just sat down for Christmas dinner when my pager went and I had to jump up and run out.
“I didn’t care though and all my family understand and are really proud of me.”
On-call firefighters have to be aged 18 or over, have a good level of all-round fitness and live or work within five minutes of an on-call fire station.
CFRS is recruiting for on-call firefighters. To find out more call 01480444500 or visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk