New batch of Cambridgeshire firefighters ready to save the day
- Credit: Archant
FIREFIGHTING crews in Cambridgeshire have boosted their ranks after a batch of new recruits joined the county’s on-call team.
Alycia Spencer, Chris Smith, Daniel Hall, Darrell Allen, Grant Tash, Joe Mabbutt and Nick Northrop all qualified as on-call firefighters at Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service (CFRS) after completing an intensive two-week training course in Huntingdon.
The new recruits all have separate day jobs but are expected to respond to a pager alert and get ready to tackle a fire at a moment’s notice.
Plumber Daniel Hall from March signed on to become an on-call firefighter after a recruitment day at Sainsbury’s.
He said: “I wasn’t happy in my old job and it’s every little boy’s dream to be a firefighter.
You may also want to watch:
“I thought it would take years of training and that you would need lots of qualifications but it was really hands-on.
“It’s not all pen and paper but really practical, which I liked.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
The 21 year-old is on-call at March Fire Station for about 80 hours a week, mainly outside work hours, and he explained you can be summoned at any moment,
He said: “One of my first shouts was on Christmas day and we had literally just sat down for Christmas dinner when my pager went and I had to jump up and run out.
“I didn’t care though and all my family understand and are really proud of me.”
On-call firefighters have to be aged 18 or over, have a good level of all-round fitness and live or work within five minutes of an on-call fire station.
CFRS is recruiting for on-call firefighters. To find out more call 01480444500 or visit www.cambsfire.gov.uk