New business venture
A FENLAND farming family, who started their business on a £100 pools win, have launched a new venture to boost business. George and Jane Munns, who run Westmoor Farms at Chatteris, are producing Munns Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil to boost their
A FENLAND farming family, who started their business on a £100 pools win, have launched a new venture to boost business.
George and Jane Munns, who run Westmoor Farms at Chatteris, are producing Munns Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil to boost their traditional range of arable crops and geese that are reared for the Christmas trade.
Mr Munns said: "Olive oil has a reputation as a healthy product but our oil has only half the saturated fat and over 10 times more Omega 3 than olive oil, making it even healthier.
"Our product has the added advantage of being locally grown and produced, without the need to be transported long distances, therefore saving on 'food miles' as well."
You may also want to watch:
The oil is extracted from the seed by a method known as cold pressing, which involves the seed being mechanically pressed at low temperatures to extract the oil, which is then filtered and bottled.
Mr Munns' product is produced from the first pressing, to retain the full flavour and goodness of the seed and keeping out any additives or preservatives.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 8 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 9 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 10 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
It can be used in exactly the same way as olive oil and is ideal for stir fries, salad dressings and marinades.
Westmoor Farm, part of Cambridgeshire County Council's farm estate, has been tenanted by the Munns family since 1959, when Mr Munns' father Lionel invested a £100 pools win in the smallholding. Since then the farm business has grown to about 500 acres.
Munns Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil will initially be available only in East Anglia, but Mr Munns hopes to broaden sales to other areas of the country as demand increases.
The oil is available by e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org, or by contacting Mr Munns on 07889 112079.