New-look March railway station is ‘smarter and more pleasant’
- Credit: Archant
March railway station now has a refurbished footbridge, a new non-slip surface and has been repainted in heritage colours.
The work, which was carried out by Abellio Greater Anglia, also included improvements made to the platforms including replacement of copers (slabs at the platform edge), installation of new tactiles (the contoured slabs near the platform edge), repairs to the platform surface and improvements to platform drainage and repairs to the exterior and interior of the station buildings.
Some minor work to the windows and station buildings will continue until the end of the month.
Paul Stannard, Abellio Greater Anglia’s area customer service manager, said: “This significant programme of work at March station is resulting in a safer, smarter and more pleasant station environment for our customers.
“I would like to thank customers for their patience while the footbridge was closed for restoration.
You may also want to watch:
“Abellio Greater Anglia is committed to upgrading stations across the network to make customers’ journeys better.”
Rail enthusiasts are invited to take a nostalgic step back in time when the Friends of March station hold a 1940s event at the station on Saturday July 23.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 7 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
The event, which takes place between 10am and 5pm, is free to attend and all are welcome.