New March pub can open until 2am licensing committee decides
A NEW Weatherspoons Pub opening soon in March Hippodrome will stay open until 2pm three nights a week.
Residents living near the building had protested against the suggested closing time of 2.30am on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays as well as key bank holidays. A petition sent to Fenland District Council’s Licensing Committee said: “We consider it excessively late. The probability of car doors slamming, engines revving and general merriment in the road at that hour will make departure of cars from here a public nuisance for the residents”.
Police March Sector Commander Inspector Rob Hill said he also had concerns. In a letter he pointed out: “The Hippodrome is situated just off the town centre and is very close to the residential areas of Darthill Road and Princes Walk. It is located on a busy road junction with limited pedestrian access.
“As such, any location that applies to sell alcohol may have an impact on both public safety and the anti-social behaviour/crime rates within that area.”
However, by the time the committee considered the application, an agreement had been reached between parties on amending the application.
You may also want to watch:
Committee chairman councillor Michael Humphrey said: “We have listened to the concerns raised by local residents regarding the parking and whilst sympathetic this is outside the remit of this committee.”
Agreed amendments also included the withdrawal of non standard timings for bank holidays. The premises will close at 2am on Thursday, Friday and Saturdays with sale of alcohol stopping at 1.45am.
- 1 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 4 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 5 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 6 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 7 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 8 Alleged paedophile released on bail
- 9 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 10 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'