New March pub can open until 2am licensing committee decides
A NEW Weatherspoons Pub opening soon in March Hippodrome will stay open until 2pm three nights a week.
Residents living near the building had protested against the suggested closing time of 2.30am on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays as well as key bank holidays. A petition sent to Fenland District Council’s Licensing Committee said: “We consider it excessively late. The probability of car doors slamming, engines revving and general merriment in the road at that hour will make departure of cars from here a public nuisance for the residents”.
Police March Sector Commander Inspector Rob Hill said he also had concerns. In a letter he pointed out: “The Hippodrome is situated just off the town centre and is very close to the residential areas of Darthill Road and Princes Walk. It is located on a busy road junction with limited pedestrian access.
“As such, any location that applies to sell alcohol may have an impact on both public safety and the anti-social behaviour/crime rates within that area.”
However, by the time the committee considered the application, an agreement had been reached between parties on amending the application.
Committee chairman councillor Michael Humphrey said: “We have listened to the concerns raised by local residents regarding the parking and whilst sympathetic this is outside the remit of this committee.”
Agreed amendments also included the withdrawal of non standard timings for bank holidays. The premises will close at 2am on Thursday, Friday and Saturdays with sale of alcohol stopping at 1.45am.
- 1 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 2 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 5 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 6 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 7 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 8 ‘We try to think outside the box’ - Alpacas pay a visit to care home
- 9 WATCH: Extinction Rebellion block Amazon warehouse
- 10 Driver escapes injury after car hits wall