New owners for popular riverside pub in March
A COUPLE who have taken over a popular Fenland pub say they are thrilled by the support they have had from pub-goers.
Kelly Bermingham, 20, was working as a barmaid of The Acre when the previous owners announced they were leaving and said she could take over with her boyfriend Martin Savage.
They haven’t looked back since taking the pub over at the beginning of the month but Mr Savage says they won’t rock the boat and will make the riverside venue a happy place for everyone.
“We’ve had a lot of support from family, friends and the regulars. We’re really enjoying it so far and we are here to stay,” he said.
“The couple who owned the pub before had done a lot of work to get the pub up to scratch so we don’t have to do anything to the interior.
You may also want to watch:
“Despite being young, it’s not that daunting to own our own pub, we have managed pubs before and I’m used to working in kitchens - Kelly will be on the bar and I will be running the kitchen.”
The pub has already held one poker night and plans to hold one every Thursday, with buy-ins at �5. They are also planning accoustic nights on the last Sunday of each month.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 9 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
The 24-year-old said: “We just want a quiet night where people can relax and unwind before a busy week at work.
“There will also be a Halloween disco that takes place on October 29 with a fancy dress competition with a prize. We will also have apple bobbing during the day for the kids.”