New priest-in-charge for two March churches
- Credit: Archant
A former train driver is to become the new priest-in-charge of St Wendreda’s Church and St John’s Church in March.
Rev Clifford Stocking will be licensed by the Bishop of Ely, the Right Rev Stephen Conway, at a special service at St Wendreda’s Church at 7pm on November 29.
Rev Stocking, 46, was previously the curate of St Mary’s Church, Hadlow, in the diocese of Rochester.
He has moved into the rectory in Wimblington Road with his medical secrtary wife Cathy.
A father of two, Rev Stocking said: “After 18 years working on the railways and encouraging and training new train drivers; I eventually acknowledged God’s call on my life to Christian ministry. Now I can use those previous life skills to help and guide others on their Christian journey.
You may also want to watch:
“I am very much looking forward to meeting everyone in the community. ”
Rev Stocking trained at Trinity Theological College in Bristol. He became a deacon in 2010 and a priest in 2011.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 7 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
Before joining the priesthood, Rev Stocking was a train driver in the London and Kent area.
He has also worked as a carpenter, and as a repairer of musical stringed instruments.