Former special constable Peter Freeman is latest to join newly-formed Fenland independent group
- Credit: Archant
Former special constable Peter Freeman is the latest recruit to join the newly-formed independent group fighting May’s local elections to Fenland District Council.
Mr Freeman was announced as joining the gang this morning (March 26) and will be looking to take Hill Ward for the independents at both town and district level.
He said: “Over the last few years I have become very saddened to see the decline of our town centre and the prevalence of street drinking and illegal parking.
“I have taken a particular interest in our once thriving market place and started to attend Wisbech Town Council meetings to see first hand what decisions were being made.
“I began to think I would like to be involved in the decision-making process rather than sit on the sidelines.
You may also want to watch:
“Four years ago I voted Conservative on both town and district, having been a Conservative voter for more than 30 years but have decided to stand as an Independent as I don’t believe it should be politics first, population second - which I believe to be happening at the moment.”
Last week Wisbech town councillor Andy Maul became the fifth Conservative to leave the party to join the group set up earlier this month by Councillors Michelle Tanfield, Will Sutton, Mike Cornwell and Fred Yeulett.
- 1 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 2 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
- 3 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 4 Artist impressions of how Mepal will be transformed into a £6.5m crematorium
- 5 Photographer captures the ‘sonic boom’ RAF Typhoon on camera
- 6 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 7 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
- 8 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 9 Pedestrian dies at scene of crash
- 10 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
The aim of the group is to fight the upcoming local elections on May 2.
To get details of how you can stand with the independents email email@example.com