New robes not on view
THOSE waiting to see the 12 members of March Town Council attired in their new robes will, regretfully, have to wait a little longer. Monday s mayor-making might well have provided the first opportunity to view the newly elected council in all their finer
THOSE waiting to see the 12 members of March Town Council attired in their new robes will, regretfully, have to wait a little longer.
Monday's mayor-making might well have provided the first opportunity to view the newly elected council in all their finery, but sadly it remained all politely informal.
New deputy mayor, Trevor Quince, did get to wear his new robes, but he was the exception; for the others the moment must wait.
One councillor still refusing to contemplate wearing robes- ever- is Peter Skoulding who thinks humility should prevail.
"I'm afraid people will look and say ' who do they think they are?'," he told a colleague. "In truth we are just ordinary people."
With two of the town's clergy present, I half expected Cllr Skoulding to quote St Luke for his long term resistance to wearing robes.
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 3 Motorcyclist, 32, injured after A605 crash
- 4 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 5 Police shut off A605 after 'single vehicle' crash
- 6 Prison for 'lavish lifestyle' drug dealer who hid £18k cash in sock drawer
- 7 How do Cambridgeshire Fens' Covid cases compare to November 2020 lockdown?
- 8 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
- 9 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 10 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
For was he not the apostle himself who warned to " beware of the scribes, which desire to walk in long robes, and love greetings in the markets, and the highest seats in the synagogues, and the chief rooms at feasts; Which devour widows' houses, and for a shew make long prayers: the same shall receive greater damnation.