NHS chief quells hospital crisis fear
AN NHS official with a major role in deciding the future of two Fenland hospitals has said it is highly unlikely that they will close. Cambridgeshire Primary Care Trust is reviewing facilities at Doddington and North Cambs Hospitals. The trust s chief
AN NHS official with a major role in deciding the future of two Fenland hospitals has said it is 'highly unlikely' that they will close.
Cambridgeshire Primary Care Trust is reviewing facilities at Doddington and North Cambs Hospitals.
The trust's chief executive Chris Banks said: "While I cannot give any cast-iron guarantees about the outcome of the review, it is a fact that these facilities are all some distance away from major acute hospitals. It is highly unlikely that there will be closures. It makes far more sense to make the best use of what we have got."
Mr Banks has also commented on concerns among staff and patients that changes to the GP out-of-hours services based at Doddington heralds the closure of the hospital.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "The only change taking place at Doddington relates to the GP out-of-hours services. These changes do not relate to any services provided by the PCT on that site."
But Doddington Hospital campaigner Reg Wenn, said: "By withdrawing the out-of-hours service from Doddington and transferring it to the North Cambs in Wisbech they are putting lives at risk."
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 9 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
Since the axing of in-patient facilities for the elderly at Doddington, many patients from Fenland have been admitted to the Princess of Wales Hospital in Ely.
Cambridgeshire Liberal Democrats have said there is a staffing crisis there, which is hitting patient care.
Lib Dem health spokesman Geoff Heathcock, said: "Patients are suffering. It is unconscionable that patients are left to wet themselves in their bed because there are not enough staff to take them to the toilet.