Nine arrests for ‘trespass and scavenging’ at Whittlesey former scrap yard site
NINE arrests “for trespassing and scavenging” have been made in the past three months at on a five acre former illegal scrap yard at Whittlesey.
Three quotes to clear the site have been sent to councillors to consider- the cheapest of �8,950 from David Humphrey of Gorefield with Supercrete Groundworks Ltd of Emneth the second cheapest at �24,000.
If that’s not enough to spur the owner into action the council expects the third might- a whopping �87,000 exclusive of VAT quote from P J Thory Ltd of Coates.
Layna Warren, street scene team leader for Fenland Council, wants court action against the owner after he refused to clear the site.
The land at Crease Bank, Briggate West, was visited by council officials recently and “showed no sign of improvement or change” said Ms Warren.
“The land owner has been traced and contacted to establish their intentions. The outcome is that he has decided to take no action on its current upkeep nor plans to in the future.”
But Fenland Council’s planning committee believes otherwise and next Wednesday will be recommended to approve enforcement action.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 3 Missing woman back home
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 6 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 7 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 10 ‘Loved and valued volunteer’ shares her special bond with charity
Fifteen complaints have been lodged recently with the council about the site and Ms Warren says it was a “negative factor” when the county council looked at the revised route for Whittlesey Walks. They avoided this area because of the mess.