'No' to nursery
PUBLISHED: 12:45 03 March 2006 | UPDATED: 21:44 28 May 2010
MEMBERS of the public cheered on Wednesday afternoon as Deborah Hutler lost her battle to open a children's day nursery in March. However Mrs Hutler pledged to continue her campaign to open the nursery on the site of a former old people's home in The Caus
MEMBERS of the public cheered on Wednesday afternoon as Deborah Hutler lost her battle to open a children's day nursery in March.However Mrs Hutler pledged to continue her campaign to open the nursery on the site of a former old people's home in The Causeway.Mrs Hutler, speaking after Fenland District Council planning committee had rejected her application, said: "I want to help families in the community of March by setting up this business."A currently derelict site is to be refurbished, and with all the new houses going up in the area, there is a need for this provision."Officers had recommended councillors refuse the nursery, which would accommodate up to 42 children, because they felt there would be an unacceptable level of noise and inadequate parking.Mrs Hutler did, however, find some support including Councillor Ray German who felt noise levels would be at an acceptable level, but lost the vote of fellow councillors by five to two."The site of the nursery isn't ideal, but it's as good as you can get. It's a needed facility for working mothers," he said.This was the second time the application has been refused. Last month, a clerical error by the council meant Mrs Hutler, and her husband David, were unable to air their views, so the matter was brought back to Wednesday's meeting.She said: "The officers didn't help Cllr German voice his views at all. He wanted it approved and could see that this is a service which is essential to March."Other childminders have objected and I think there are frightened I will take away their business from them."She added that the house, number 12 The Causeway, had been empty for 10 years so any use now would increase noise levels for neighbours.