Nottinghill Carnival style parade will come to Chatteris this year
- Credit: Archant
A riot of mardi gras style colour will explode through the streets of Chatteris thanks to a national art group that has helped produce costumes for Nottinghill Carnival.
The Chatteris Midsummer Festival walking parade will be transformed this year into an explosion of colour thanks to the involvement of Mandinga Arts.
The company researches, designs, creates and delivers innovative outdoor performance costumes and thanks to a grant from Market Place, the Creative People and Places Programme for Fenland and Forest Heath, they will be working with students and adults in Chatteris to produce costumes for this year’s parade.
In what is believed to be a first for the Fens the vibrant colours of Mardi Gras will hit the streets of Chatteris on Saturday June 27 to launch the Midsummer Festival.
Katherine Nightingale, of 20twentyproductions, said it was an ideal opportunity to demonstrate how committed the project was to improving access to the arts in Fenland.
She said: “What better way to demonstrate commitment than by helping to enhance and bring excitement to an existing venture.”
Mandinga Arts will have spent the previous two days in workshops helping children and keen adults to produce colourful costumes, drawing on diverse influences from Europe, Latin America and Africa.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 10 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
The company has worked on costumes for Notting Hill Carnival and the London Mayor’s Thames Festival Night Carnival.
Whilst only a few people will have the chance to work with Mandinga Arts, there is the opportunity for everyone in Chatteris to be involved in this year’s parade, explained organiser Joanna Melton.
Anyone interested in joining the parade is asked to contact her at email@example.com.