Nudist club calls on families for support
A SHORT-lived ban on children going along to a nudist swimming club almost led to its closure. Organisers are now hoping families will once again support the venture. Numbers plummeted at Club Soleil when children were banned due to concerns over child pr
A SHORT-lived ban on children going along to a nudist swimming club almost led to its closure. Organisers are now hoping families will once again support the venture.
Numbers plummeted at Club Soleil when children were banned due to concerns over child protection issues.
Norman and June Calvert had already been running the sessions at Whittlesey's Manor Pool for eight years when the ban was imposed.
Mr Calvert said: "There was never anything remotely suspicious about the club and the children were looked after in a proper way. We had loads of nasty and abusive phone calls but nothing had ever happened.
You may also want to watch:
"It caused us a lot of trouble and distress but in fact the children were better supervised than at ordinary swimming sessions."
After a three-month battle costing thousands of pounds, the ban was lifted but families failed to return to the club.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 4 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
With numbers dropping and soaring hire charges, the couple were tempted to call it a day and close the club. Now with more people supporting the Saturday evening swims, they have decided to give it another go but are hoping families will go along.
Mr Calvert said: "If you are a naturist you are very welcome or if you would like to give naturism a chance then this is a good way to do it."
The meetings are on the first Saturday of the month at 7pm from May to September.
CONTACT: Norman Calvert on 01733 270270.