Official opening of Thomas Clarkson Academy’s new 500-seat theatre
- Credit: Archant
THOMAS Clarkson Academy’s stunning 500-seat theatre will be officially opened with a concert by the Royal Air Force Swing Wing Band on Saturday March 16.
The theatre, which was completed in late 2012 and was the final part of the Academy’s state of the art new buildings, has already hosted several Academy events and various community events, including a performance by the Wisbech Players and the Rotary Club of Wisbech’s Christmas charity concert.
Doors will the ceremony and concert will open at 6.45pm and the inauguration ceremony will begin at 7pm, followed by the band’s performance.
The RAF Swing Wing Band is a 20-piece big band that plays in the style of the bands of the 1940s, 1950s and 1960s.
Their programme on the night will include popular numbers covering the swing band years, as well as more modern tunes.
You may also want to watch:
All proceeds from the concert will be donated to the RAF Association Wings Appeal, a charitable appeal that helps in the welfare of both former members and current serving members of the RAF and their dependants.
Thomas Clarkson Academy Principal Clare Claxton said: “Everyone at the Academy is extremely proud of our fantastic new theatre and we are looking forward to welcoming members of our local community to help us declare it officially open.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 7 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
“We hope many more community organisations will come and stage their events in the theatre in the future.”
Rob Scullion, Sergeant of the RAF Swing Wing Band, said: “This is a unique opportunity to see and hear some of the best live music anywhere and at the same time be able to inspect and enjoy the Academy’s new facilities.”
The Academy’s theatre features bleacher seating and a portable stage which can be adapted for in the round, a catwalk or a traditional stage.
Tickets for the official opening and RAF Swing Wing Band show are £10 and are available from Thomas Clarkson Academy on 01945 585237, from Jan or Ray Hutchinson on 01945 584595 and from Fotogenic in Hill Street, Wisbech.