Oh! Plate and Porter, what shall I do? I want to go to vote for someone, And they’re taking me to YOU, Send me back to Fenland, as quickly as you can, Oh! Plate and Porter, now I know what to do….
- Credit: Archant
Some people will be doing it in a launderette, some in a boxing gym and others in a caravan - but in March the quirkiest polling booth will be inside a restaurant.
Polling booths across the UK come in all shapes and sizes and for the first time this year the Plate and Porter will be opening its doors to voters from 6.30am to 10.30pm.
Owner Lisa Carroll said: “Fenland District Council approached us at the end of last year and asked if we would be willing to be a polling station. It’s a good location as we have easy disabled access and toilets.
“It’s also a good opportunity for people to come along and see what we do here. It was a good community spirited thing to agree to help with.”
She added: “It seems such an early start but we’ve been told to expect a queue of voters keen to get in the polling booth first thing.”
You may also want to watch:
The Station Road restaurant will only be able to serve coffee to voters who want to stop and chat politics as their licence allows them to serve alcohol if people are eating but they have devised a special sandwich lunch menu in case people want to linger.
Unusual polling booths across the UK include a garage in Croydon, a caravan in Garthorpe, a launderette in Oxford, a boxing gym in Kingston Upon Hull and somebody’s living room on the island of Inishfree, off the coast of Ireland.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend