Top tips to prevent burglaries this summer from Cambridgeshire Police
PUBLISHED: 09:36 20 April 2018 | UPDATED: 09:36 20 April 2018
Cambridgeshire Police have issued advice to protect homes from burglars this summer.
The list has been posted on social media to alert residents to measures they can take to prevent crime in the warmer weather.
It comes as a heat wave has hit the county, with temperatures rising into the late 20s.
Here are the tips: 1. Ensure you lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house.
2. Garden entertaining - Please close all windows/doors at the front/side of your property when out of your sight, this is an ideal opportunity for a burglar to strike. Please do not be complacent and let your barriers down.
3. Keep your house and car keys somewhere safe, especially out of sight and away from the letterbox. Remember a device could be used to hook the keys through the letterbox.
4. Install good outside lighting – dusk to dawn (front) and motion sensor (rear).
5. Ask a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property when you go away on holiday.
6. Use timers on your lights (lamp) or leave a radio on to make the property appear occupied.
7. Remove valuables from view of ground floor windows.
8. Be creative about where you store any high value items, such as: - jewellery.
9. Ensure your fencing around your garden is in good condition, you could add trellis on the top to make it less appealing to climb.
10. Securing bikes at home by locking them to an immovable object (ground anchor) inside a locked shed or garage. Look at purchasing a shed alarm and use adequate locks, such as: - closed shackle padlocks, some have alarms attached.
11. Keep ladders and tools stored away. Don’t leave them outside where they could be used to break into your home.
12. Ensure any side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property.
13. Improve natural surveillance at the front of your property. For example: - trim high hedges.
14. Consider joining or forming a Neighbourhood Watch scheme in your area.
15. Take photos and mark your property with your postcode and house number. You can also register any valuables for free with Immobilise. www.immobilise.com
16. Install a visual burglar alarm or CCTV. For further guidance on choosing the appropriate alarm and CCTV system for your home and approved suppliers visit : - National Security Inspectorate (NSI) www.nsi.org.uk and Security Systems and Alarms Inspectorate Board (SSAIB) www.ssaib.org.uk