Olympic riders set to star at horse trials in Little Downham this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Olympic medallists including Team GB’s William Fox-Pitt will be heading to Ely Eventing Centre this weekend to take part in the Little Downham Horse Trials.
The four-day event, running from Saturday to Tuesday, will see riders from across the world competing.
A world-class field will be on show including Olympic and world championship gold medallists.
Two-time Olympic silver medallist William Fox-Pitt will lead the British charge, just over a year since he won silver alongside Zara-Phillips, Mary King, Tina Cook and Nicola Wilson in the London Olympics Team Event.
Two of the New Zealand riders Team GB pushed out into bronze that day, Mark Todd and Andrew Nicholson, will also compete at the event.
You may also want to watch:
Mark Todd is a two-time Olympic gold medallist whilst compatriot Andrew Nicholson is a World Equestrian Games gold medallist.
Entries secretary Sarah Robinson said that the trials attracted such illustrious competition as they offered riders the chance to “qualify for international events next year, including the Badminton and Burghley Horse Trials.”
- 1 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 2 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 3 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 6 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 7 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 8 Suspected arsonist charged after health centre fire
- 9 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 10 Town buzzing with buses - for one day only
The course itself was designed by Jonathan Clissold, Phillip Herbert and Tina Ure and includes features such as a narrow boat styled water jump.
Over the three days an estimated 1,000 riders, trainers and spectators will turn up in the small village of Little Downham.
Entrance is free for spectators with British Eventing membership.