Olympics give a boost to sport - and March Town Hockey Club among those inundated with requests
THE London 2012 Olympics have generated a lot of interest in a wide range of sports and hockey is no different.
March Town Hockey club has been inundated with requests from juniors as to how they can take up the game.
Chairman Neil Liversedge said: “The Olympics was a superb spectacle for all sports, and a lot of sports you do not see covered widely on the TV, hockey being one of them.
“We have a received a lot of requests from children who saw both the men’s and ladies competitions and saw a sport where the ball moves faster than in football, there was lots of skill, excitement and plenty of goals.”
As a result the club will be running their traditional training for 5 to 11 year olds on a Thursday night (more details to follow soon) and for the older 11-16 age group the club will be running new sessions starting on September 18 from 7.30pm to 9.00pm; each session will cost just �2.
You may also want to watch:
The sessions will be led by men’s 1st X1 coach Jody Betts.
Mr Liversedge said: “Jody agreeing to lead these new sessions is brilliant, he’s a very talented player in his own right and as a coach he brings enthusiasm and a real knowledge of how to play the game and have fun.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
“We hope as many children as possible will come along and join I”.
If you want to find out more you can contact Neil on 07886 976329 or Jody on 07917 775071.