On a mission
Two members of Fenland Youth District Council have checked out the disabled facilities at the George Campbell Leisure Centre, at March. Matthew Holland and Caitlin Holmes, pictured right, students at Meadowgate School, Wisbech, agreed to test what was on
Two members of Fenland Youth District Council have checked out the disabled facilities at the George Campbell Leisure Centre, at March.
Matthew Holland and Caitlin Holmes, pictured right, students at Meadowgate School, Wisbech, agreed to test what was on offer and report back to the YDC.
In 2005, under the Inclusive Fitness Initiative, the leisure centre was awarded funding to provide more accessible facilities for disabled customers. This included new equipment and improved lighting in the fitness studio and accessible steps into the pool.
Matthew opted to try out some of the gym equipment including the arm cycle, the pec dec and the seated row and rated them for ease of accessibility and enjoyment.
You may also want to watch:
A regular customer at the Hudson Leisure Centre, Wisbech, this was Matthew's first visit to the George Campbell and he was impressed.
"Most of the equipment, I would rate at least seven out of 10 and I really enjoyed testing out the facilities which are quite extensive," he said.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
Caitlin, 13, a keen swimmer joined a special swimming session for the disabled and thoroughly enjoyed her experience.
"The steps leading into the pool are particularly helpful and very easy to use," she said, "and I was pleased with the disabled changing rooms."
Staff at the George Campbell have undertaken training to enable them to help disabled people more effectively.
If you would like to contact the YDC, call Wendy Coles, community and youth officer, on 01945 427114 or e-mail email@example.com