On a mission to create a dementia friendly community in Fenland
- Credit: Archant
A dementia action group has been officially launched in the Fens as part of a nationwide drive to provide advice and support for sufferers and their families.
Members of Fenland Dementia Action Awareness (DAA) were in March library giving out information.
The number of people thought to have dementia in Fenland is 1,853 but of those only 950 have a recorded diagnosis - suggesting almost half of sufferers have not had their condition recognised.
A spokesman for DAA said: “There are 850,000 people living with dementia in the UK. It costs the UK economy £26.3 billion a year and can ruin the lives of people living with it and those that care for them.
“The DAA is working towards bringing about a society-wide response to dementia.”
You may also want to watch:
The Fenland branch is on a mission to increase awareness of dementia by recruiting a wide range of groups and holding awareness sessions.
They are speaking to families to ask about improving care, holding regular quarterly meetings and working towards creating a recognised dementia friendly community in Fenland.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
Already on board are Lloyds Bank, Fenland District Council, Circle Housing, Cambridgeshire Police, Care Network, Cambridgeshire Public Health, Alzheimer’s Society, Wisbech Community Development Trust and the Rotary Club of Wisbech.
The Fenland page on the national DAA website went live two months ago followed by the public launch this week.
For details contact email@example.com.