On Mo Head Son! Wisbech St Mary to host ‘most-moustached footy match since Liverpool in 70s’
IT is billed as the “most-moustached” game of football since Liverpool in the 1970s - and it will kick-off in Wisbech St Mary next week.
About 25 players have signed up to “On Mo Head Son”, a charity match to raise money for Movember UK.
The requirements are simple - you must have boots and shin pads, you must donate at least �2 and you MUST be sporting a healthy moustache.
The game is the culmination of Wisbech St Mary Football Club’s Movember effort, which has seen a host of their players grow outrageous facial hair in the name of charity.
Andy Whyte, who has organised the match, said the club hoped to raise �1,000 as well as raise awareness of men’s health issues such as prostate cancer and testicular cancer.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve lost a family member to cancer so it is something I full support,” he said.
“We’ve got great facilities at Wisbech St Mary so if we can use them, have fun and raise money and awareness at the same time then that’s great.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 8 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 9 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 10 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
Asked about the progress of his own moustache, Andy added: “It’s starting get a bit itchy.”
The match will take place at Wisbech St Mary Playing Fields next Thursday (November 29). Kick-off is 7.30pm and organisers are hoping for a big crowd.
For more information or to donate e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.strikerstackle.com/movember