On yer bike-and now its possible as £350,000 cycleway linking Ely to Sutton nears completion
- Credit: Archant
A cycleway linking Ely with Sutton is due to be completed within a fortnight, according to Cambridgeshire County Council.
Work on the £350,000 stretch of cycle path began in September last year but has been subject to delays, the county council said, owing to restrictions on working hours during peak times on the A142.
But, on Monday, the county council contacted North East Cambridgeshire parliamentary hopeful Stephen Barclay to confirm that completion of the cycleway was imminent.
Mike Davies, the county council’s team leader for cycling projects, told Mr Barclay: “I am pleased to report though that the scheme will be completed within the next two weeks. Sutton and the surrounding villages will soon have a completed high quality foot and cycle link to Ely via Witchford, along this very busy road.”
Mr Barclay said he had been concerned by the severity of holdups caused on the A142 during construction of the cycleway but welcomed news that work was nearing completion.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I have consistently campaigned for better cycleways in our area since my election in 2010 and whilst it was positive news that the footpath was being built, I was concerned that the project was causing unnecessary inconvenience to motorists, residents and businesses due to the length of time it was taking.
“The resident who contacted me said motorists were often caught in tailbacks over 30 minutes long and it has been especially bad since January. But thankfully the project is now nearing completion and I’m sure everyone will welcome that news.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 9 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 10 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash