One car in ditch and serious injuries reported as two cars collide and main Fenland road is closed for hours
FIRE fighters rescued two people from the wreckage of their cars today after a head on collision in the Fens.
The accident blocked the A142 near Chatteris in both directions for many hours as fire crews, paramedics and police arrived at the scene.
The fire service said they got the call at just after 10am and sent crews from March, Chatteris and a specialist Huntingdon crew.
They said they found two vehicles had been involved, and one car had left the road and was in a ditch.
Three ambulances and the air ambulance were soon in attendance and among the most serious casualties was one of the drivers who received what were said to be life threatening injuries. A female passenger was also seriously hurt.
You may also want to watch:
Three others involved were said by the emergency services to be “walking wounded”.
The accident happened between the B1098 New Road and Wenny Road- with the A1101 at Welney closed for flooding, traffic through the area was much higher than usual for a weekend.
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 5 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 6 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 10 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
Diversions were set up but motorists faced delays as the by pass was closed for several hours and only re opened mid afternoon.