One of the county’s longest running shows called off this year because of rising costs and need to get more people involved
THE Littleport Show- one of Cambridgeshire’s oldest running events- is not to be held this year following mounting losses, organisers announced today.
The decision was made at a committee meeting last night although members said they still hoped to organise an event of some kind in July.
“We need more committee members and more people through the gate to support funds of �20,000 which it costs to put on a show,” organisers said in a statement posted today on the show’s Facebook page.
“This year will be a year of fund raising and we hope to put on a great show in 2012.”
Next meeting of the committee is on February 8 and organisers hope more people will attend and get involved.
You may also want to watch:
One posting on their Facebook page reported that last year’s open air live event which followed the show lost money “and the profit made on show day was used to cover these losses.”
Main arena events, craft stalls, Littleport Society heritage tent, horticultural and flower tents, trade stands, children’s rides and much more are usually part of the show, which has traditionally been held on the last Saturday of July.
- 1 Police swoop on Chatteris housing estate following machete threat
- 2 ‘We are still struggling to cope’: Pet rescuers face ‘horrific situation’
- 3 Man, 48, dies after Mercedes car overturns in horror ditch crash
- 4 Man remains in custody after 'firearm and threat to kill' arrest
- 5 Hospitalised driver and passenger suffer serious injuries after crash
- 6 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 7 Welcome back to the food capital of the Fens
- 8 Caring Daisy, 7, to donate hair to help children's charity
- 9 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 10 Dame Mary Archer defence witness in sexual abuse trial of judge's widow