One of the county’s longest running shows called off this year because of rising costs and need to get more people involved

PUBLISHED: 10:43 13 January 2011 | UPDATED: 10:50 13 January 2011

Littleport Show

Littleport Show

Archant

THE Littleport Show- one of Cambridgeshire’s oldest running events- is not to be held this year following mounting losses, organisers announced today.

The decision was made at a committee meeting last night although members said they still hoped to organise an event of some kind in July.

“We need more committee members and more people through the gate to support funds of £20,000 which it costs to put on a show,” organisers said in a statement posted today on the show’s Facebook page.

“This year will be a year of fund raising and we hope to put on a great show in 2012.”

Next meeting of the committee is on February 8 and organisers hope more people will attend and get involved.

One posting on their Facebook page reported that last year’s open air live event which followed the show lost money “and the profit made on show day was used to cover these losses.”

Main arena events, craft stalls, Littleport Society heritage tent, horticultural and flower tents, trade stands, children’s rides and much more are usually part of the show, which has traditionally been held on the last Saturday of July.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Cambs Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Cambs Times