One stop shop for tourists to open in Wisbech
A NEW information centre which will be a one stop shop for tourists in Wisbech.
The centre will open on Tuesday in Post Office Lane after negotiations between Wisbech Area Regeneration and Development Trust (WisARD) and Wisbech Town Council for a vehicle to provide visitors with town information,
It is hoped it will act as a signpost for residents and visitors for clubs, facilities, specialist shops and businesses in the area.
Funds have been secured to run the centre for three years but money is not yet available to pay staff to man it so WisARD are seeking volunteers with local knowledge prepared to give up their spare time for the project.
Around six volunteers have already been recruited.
You may also want to watch:
David Oliver, chairman of WisARD and leader of Wisbech Town Council, said: “We feel there is a need to provide a personal service and warm welcome to Wisbech that is so important to visitors.
“At the same time provide information to local residents who are not adept at using the internet.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
“As Fenland District Council is unable to continue to provide this service in the One Stop Shop we felt that we needed to take action ourselves. Tourism is crucial to the vitality of Wisbech and the local economy.
Wisbech-based charities the Alan Hudson Trust and the Robert Hall Trust have generously made substantial grants towards the refurbishment and setting up costs of the new centre.