One... two... three... play! Fenland Council opens new and improved play parks
THREE more play parks were opened this week as Fenland District Council continued its programme to upgrade facilities for children across the district.
New and improved equipment has been installed at the existing play areas at Springfields in Eastrea and North Green, Coates, and a new park has been created at Willey Terrace in Chatteris.
Town councillors from Whittlesey and Chatteris joined Councillor Peter Murphy, the council’s portfolio holder responsible for open spaces, for the three openings on Monday.
Cllr Murphy said: “This year we’re investing more than �180,000 in our play parks. It’s important for children to be active and to get out in the fresh air and we’re doing all we can to encourage that.”
At Eastrea the new equipment includes a slide, two sets of double swings, a basket swing and a roundabout. The revamp also included new fencing all round and the refurbishment of the teen shelter.
You may also want to watch:
In Coates there are two slides, two sets of double swings and a basket swing, plus a see saw, a goal and a roundabout.
Willey Terrace in Chatteris has a football-cum-basketball goal, a double swing and a small seat.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
The equipment has been supplied by Kompan Play at Coates and Eastrea and by Proludic at Willey Terrace. It has all been installed by the Whittlesey firm R.J. Warren Landscapes.
Last month March saw a new play park opened in Dagless Way, with another coming soon to Southwell Close. Two more are being created over the next couple of months – one in Station Road, Whittlesey, the other in Wisbech Park.