One-year ban for drink driver who crashed van after watching Liverpool beat Manchester United
A FOOTBALL fan who crashed his van after watching Liverpool beat Manchester United was still over the alcohol limit an hour and a half after the accident.
Gareth Redford swerved and hit a wall in Burwell High Street - and after receiving hospital treatment he failed a breath test.
At Ely Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, the 26-year-old from Reed Close, Chatteris, admitted drink driving on March 6.
The accident happened around 4.45pm, and at 6.15pm he gave a test reading was 47mcgs of alcohol in 100mls of breath. The legal limit is 35mcgs.
Mitigating, Jacqui Baldwin said Redford had been working in Burwell, and went to watch the match in the village pub.
He had drunk a couple of pints, and when driving along the High Street afterwards, he swerved to avoid an oncoming lorry and collided with a wall.
Redford was banned from driving for a year and fined �646 with �85 costs and a �15 surcharge.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 3 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 4 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 5 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 6 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 7 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 8 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 9 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 10 Primary school plans for new town take step forward