One-year ban for drink driver who crashed van after watching Liverpool beat Manchester United
A FOOTBALL fan who crashed his van after watching Liverpool beat Manchester United was still over the alcohol limit an hour and a half after the accident.
Gareth Redford swerved and hit a wall in Burwell High Street - and after receiving hospital treatment he failed a breath test.
At Ely Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, the 26-year-old from Reed Close, Chatteris, admitted drink driving on March 6.
The accident happened around 4.45pm, and at 6.15pm he gave a test reading was 47mcgs of alcohol in 100mls of breath. The legal limit is 35mcgs.
Mitigating, Jacqui Baldwin said Redford had been working in Burwell, and went to watch the match in the village pub.
You may also want to watch:
He had drunk a couple of pints, and when driving along the High Street afterwards, he swerved to avoid an oncoming lorry and collided with a wall.
Redford was banned from driving for a year and fined �646 with �85 costs and a �15 surcharge.
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 What are the outstanding and good schools in Cambridgeshire?
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 8 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 9 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 10 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests