One-year ban for drink driver who crashed van after watching Liverpool beat Manchester United
A FOOTBALL fan who crashed his van after watching Liverpool beat Manchester United was still over the alcohol limit an hour and a half after the accident.
Gareth Redford swerved and hit a wall in Burwell High Street - and after receiving hospital treatment he failed a breath test.
At Ely Magistrates’ Court on Thursday, the 26-year-old from Reed Close, Chatteris, admitted drink driving on March 6.
The accident happened around 4.45pm, and at 6.15pm he gave a test reading was 47mcgs of alcohol in 100mls of breath. The legal limit is 35mcgs.
Mitigating, Jacqui Baldwin said Redford had been working in Burwell, and went to watch the match in the village pub.
You may also want to watch:
He had drunk a couple of pints, and when driving along the High Street afterwards, he swerved to avoid an oncoming lorry and collided with a wall.
Redford was banned from driving for a year and fined �646 with �85 costs and a �15 surcharge.
- 1 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 2 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 3 In 2,300 words rainbow alliance set out manifesto for change at Cambridgeshire County Council
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 6 Carpenter 'honoured' by thank-you gifts to mark 25 years' service
- 7 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 8 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 9 Man charged with murder of woman in her 70s
- 10 Here’s what the post-lockdown pub experience will look like