Open day a model of success
MEMBERS of March Model Railway Club were building bridges (and trees, mountains, rivers and roads) with the public at their annual open day on Saturday.
Over 150 people arrived at St Peter’s Church Hall from 10am to 4.30pm to see demonstrations on how to make “scratch buildings” – rail side models constructed from everyday items like wire, tape, foam and polystyrene.
Brian Wakeling, a member of the club, said: “People can make models out of anything – old cornflake packets, scatter foam, hot glue, bits of wire – you name anything and someone’s probably made a model out of it.”
“We had people building model wagons and kits, roads, engines, buildings, rock faces, mountains, hills, rivers, boats, trees, you name it.”
He said: “It was very successful. We had a tremendous amount of interest and it looks like we may have several new members.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Wakeling added that not everyone was entirely happy: one parent complained that since his child made a rock face out of packing foam he now has to collect every piece of scrap polystyrene he can.
Refreshments were provided by club members with Delia Wakeling supervising the kitchen for the last time. At the end of the day she was presented with a bouquet of flowers by the chairman, Keith Sharp.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 7 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 10 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
The club would like to invite interested families and modelmakers to their exhibition next year at Westwood Community Junior School, Maple Grove, March PE15 8JT on March 2, 2013.
You can join March Model Railway Club by contacting Mr Wakeling on 01354 680 032, or John Lygo on 01354 653 630.