Open invitation to visit Fenland’s German ‘twins’
- Credit: Archant
Fancy a five-day trip to Germany later this year?
The Fenland Twinning Association is inviting people to join the party that will be visiting the district of Nettetal from September 8-12.
There is room for 40 people on the luxury coach that has been booked. The cost is £100 per person (£80 for students).
The group will be led by Councillor Carol Cox, chairman of Fenland District Council.
Councillor Mike Cornwell, the association’s secretary, said: “The visit is open to everyone and we’d love to take a full coachload. Everything is organised by our hosts – all you need to do is book, turn up and go.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re certain to get a warm welcome: the people are lovely and it’s a beautiful area. Some of us have made lifelong friends through past exchanges and it’d be nice for others to do the same this time.”
Julie and Roger Coulthurst from Manea will be making their third “official” visit to Nettetal. They have also stayed with their hosts three other times and keep in touch with them throughout the year.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 6 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
“We have fantastic hosts and we’re sure other members would echo this,” said Julie. “Language is usually no problem and food is excellent. Our hosts have also visited us out of the twinning cycle. We have many happy, lasting memories and cannot wait to see them and others again.”
The two districts have been linked since 1987. The exchanges take place every other year, with a group from Nettetal having last come over to Fenland in 2014. Their trip included an outing to the National Stud in Newmarket.
One of the highlights of the previous visit to Germany in 2012 was a day at the Floriade, a world-famous horticultural show held once every 10 years at Venlo in the Netherlands, just across the border from Nettetal.
· For more details, email Cllr Cornwell at email@example.com