Organisers call time on Fenland rally that has raised �30,000 for charity
ORGANISERS have called time on The Walpole Steam Rally meaning this summer’s event, the 11th, will have been the last.
“Will no longer be running in the future” says a stark notice on the rally’s website of an event that has raised �30,000 for charity over the years.
“We would like to thank everyone who helped out with the running of the events over the many years and to all the attractions that made the weekend a great time.”
One of the main beneficiaries has been the East Anglian Air Ambulance who was recently presented with a �6,000 cheque from chairman Mark Davey. It included �900 from an event held by a caravan club in the town of March and some money still left in the kitty.
Blame for the closure of the event - held over two days in July - has been put on the pressures of finding younger committee members.
Visitors praised this year’s event which a selection of some fine and rare vintage tractors.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 3 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 4 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 5 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 6 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 7 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 8 ‘Loved and valued volunteer’ shares her special bond with charity
- 9 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 10 Wife pays tribute to ex-footballer who 'I could always rely on'