Organisers call time on Fenland rally that has raised �30,000 for charity
ORGANISERS have called time on The Walpole Steam Rally meaning this summer’s event, the 11th, will have been the last.
“Will no longer be running in the future” says a stark notice on the rally’s website of an event that has raised �30,000 for charity over the years.
“We would like to thank everyone who helped out with the running of the events over the many years and to all the attractions that made the weekend a great time.”
One of the main beneficiaries has been the East Anglian Air Ambulance who was recently presented with a �6,000 cheque from chairman Mark Davey. It included �900 from an event held by a caravan club in the town of March and some money still left in the kitty.
Blame for the closure of the event - held over two days in July - has been put on the pressures of finding younger committee members.
You may also want to watch:
Visitors praised this year’s event which a selection of some fine and rare vintage tractors.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 8 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 9 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 10 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion