Ouse Washes fund-raising event is cancelled due to flooding uncertainty
- Credit: Archant
Ely Hereward Rotary Club has postponed the planned Ouse Washes Experience fund-raising event due to concerns over the impact of flooding in the area.
Scheduled to take place on April 6, the event would have taken participants on a 16km sponsored bike ride and run on a previously unused track adjacent to the Old Bedford River between Mepal Bridge and Welney.
It was hoped that the event, which was set to benefit Magpas Helimedix and nominated Rotary charities, was to raise £10,000.
Gary Gardner, club chairman, said: “Uncertainty over the impact of flooding in the area over recent and coming weeks and the consequent lack of advance bookings as a result mean that we have decided to postpone the event until there is more certainty of good riding and running conditions.
“We are bitterly disappointed to have to postpone this event at short notice, but uncertainty over the condition of the route following the recent bad weather - with the prospect of more to come - mean that we were left with no alternative.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope to re-arrange the event for later in the year when the weather and ground conditions should be more favourable”.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 5 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle