Out of control Whittlesey bonfire spreads to nearby sheds and a large storage building
- Credit: Archant
A bonfire that got out of control spread to nearby sheds and a large storage building.
“Fast intervention from the crews prevented this fire destroying the largest building on the site,” said Jamie Johnson of Whittlesey on-call fire station.
Crews from Whittlesey, Stanground and Dogsthorpe were called to the fire in Cock Bank, Whittlesey, at lunchtime on Saturday.
A fire in two sheds had spread to a large storage building measuring 10m by 10m containing plastics.
“The buildings were 100 per cent involved in the fire,” said Mr Johnson.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two jets, three hose reels and a light portable pump to use water from an open water source to extinguish the fire by 2.13pm.
A road was closed while firefighters tackled the fire.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 7 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
Crews dampened down and used a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots.
Crews returned to their stations by 3.55pm.
Mr Johnson said: “This fire started when a small bonfire accidentally spread to two sheds and a large storage building.
“We would always encourage both businesses and residents to dispose of their rubbish and materials responsibly by ideally taking them to a waste and recycling site.
“However, if you do light a bonfire, make sure it is well away from any property, never leave it unattended and do not pour accelerant on it.”