Outgoing mayor dishes out year’s charity cash
IT IS a task saved for the end of a mayor’s term of office and one which should ensure a fond farewell to the position.
The outgoing Mayor of Wisbech, Cllr Jonathan Farmer, distributed �3,700 raised over his year to the Mayor’s Charities, ranging from the Wisbech Scouts to drama groups.
Cllr Farmer, who held the office for a year as is customary, thanked the cadet units including the Wisbech Scouts, the Wisbech Guiding Group and the Wisbech Sea Cadets, and gave a special contribution to the organisers of Armed Forces Day 2012. The additional money, donated by former mayor Thelma Hewitt, will be put towards another such day in Wisbech on July 1.
Money also went to two drama groups, The Angles Theatre and Dramarama, while sporting initiatives were recognised with Wisbech Town Cricket Club receiving a donation towards its community cricket week.
Cllr Farmer said: “It was a delight to hear the enthusiasm and commitment from the young members of the groups and the leaders and instructors.
You may also want to watch:
“We should be so proud of the young people and adult helpers who make our local youth groups such successes, offering interesting and stimulating things to do and role models for the future.”
Welfare and community activities were also given grants with monies going to DiabetesUK Wisbech, Octavia hill Birthplace House, Vivien Fire Engine Trust and St Augustine’s Day Centre.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 10 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'