Outgoing mayor of Whittlesey leads tributes to those who have gone above and beyond
- Credit: Archant
The outgoing mayor of Whittlesey has led tributes to supporters who have gone above and beyond during her tenure and amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Cllr Julie Windle and Deborah Slator, co-ordinator at the Helping Whittlesey group, thanked businesses and individuals for their efforts with framed certificates, donated by the Peterborough & Fenland Referee Development Scheme.
Cllr Windle, who was replaced by Cllr David Mason after completing her two-year term in charge, was pleased to see residents coming together to help one another.
She said: “In these extraordinary times, we have seen an exceptional surge of good will and support and many local citizens who could really struggle have been helped in the best possible way.”
The Helping Whittlesey group also received a framed certificate from Cllr Windle on behalf of Whittlesey Town Council for the volunteers who continue to help, such as delivering meals and running errands for people struggling to leave home.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Slator said: “We have just touched the tip of the iceberg of those who have given us that little extra; there are many more who have made a great contribution.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'