Outwell couple to race against 70 other teams in Top Gear style Barcelona Banger challenge
- Credit: Archant
AN Upwell couple will set off on a 1,000 mile Top Gear style car challenge to Barcelona tomorrow.
Karen Harvey and her boyfriend Adam Ruck have purchased an “old banger” and will drive more than 1,000 miles from Calais to Barcelona in a race against 70 other teams.
They hope to raise more than £3,000 for East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH), who support families and care for children and young people with life-threatening conditions across Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk.
Karen said: “Adam and I are very excited about our trip and are confident our old banger will keep going, even on the last day when we shall be driving over the Pyrenees.
“It will be a real test for the brakes and clutch. We took the car to Grimsby last weekend and a friend has made a fantastic job of adding stickers and signage to the bodywork so no-one will miss us en-route.
You may also want to watch:
“Our theme is 1970’s Glitz and we have called our team “Glitter Mitten”.
“We’re really excited about taking part in the challenge and proud to be doing it to support the amazing work done by EACH.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
The Barcelona Banger challenge started in 2005 and teams are encouraged to raise money for a charity of their choice.
Each team’s car must be worth no more than £250, challenges are set for the teams every day and fancy dress is encouraged.
Karen Newton, EACH Cambridgeshire Fundraiser said: “We’re delighted Karen and Adam have chosen to support EACH by taking part in this exciting event.”
You can sponsor Karen and Adam by visiting their Just giving page at www.justgiving.com/glitter-mitten