Owner counting the cost after fire rips through Christchurch scrap yard

Firefighters at the scene of the fire at the scrapyard in Euximoor Drove, Christchurch. Picture: THE

Firefighters at the scene of the fire at the scrapyard in Euximoor Drove, Christchurch. Picture: THE NEW HERON - Credit: Archant

A scrap yard owner has been left reeling after a fire caused tens of thousands of pounds of damage yesterday.

Firefighters at the scene of the fire at the scrapyard in Euximoor Drove, Christchurch. Picture: ROB

Firefighters at the scene of the fire at the scrapyard in Euximoor Drove, Christchurch. Picture: ROBERT WHITE - Credit: Archant

Eight fire crews and a command unit were called to the blaze at the Euximoor Drove Scrapyard in Christchurch. The flames, at first, were above the top of the poplar trees. The smoke could be seen from Littleport.

Police also attended and closed Euximoor Drove from the T-junction at about 6pm.

A fire had broken out involving a scrap yard, measuring 15m by 30m, containing an array of materials including metal, scrap vehicles and other waste material. A smoke plume was also visible.

Two caravans full of stock were lost in the fire as well as several outbuildings and items in the yard.

Firefighters at the scene of the fire at the scrapyard in Euximoor Drove, Christchurch. Picture: ROB

Firefighters at the scene of the fire at the scrapyard in Euximoor Drove, Christchurch. Picture: ROBERT WHITE - Credit: Archant


You may also want to watch:


Scrap yard owner Sydney John Carman said: “We were working up at the yard till about three o’clock; but we’d had no naked flames, grinders or electrical equipment. Nothing that made a spark! We can’t understand it?”

His work colleague Marvin Smart said: “We finished work just after three and I was off home and spotted the flames from the Sixteen Foot at about 4.30pm. I rang the fire people straight away!”

Most Read

Crews used four jets to extinguish the fire, which took a number of hours. More than 20 gas cylinders were involved in the incident and were safely dealt with. All crews returned to their stations by 11.35pm.

The cause of the fire was accidental, believed to have started when a bonfire spread.

Sydney John Carman, left, and Marvin Smart. Picture: THE NEW HERON

Sydney John Carman, left, and Marvin Smart. Picture: THE NEW HERON - Credit: Archant

Station Commander Matt Murdoch, incident commander, said: “Crews worked very hard for a long period of time to fully extinguish this fire in difficult circumstances considering the number of cylinders that were involved.

“If a member of the public does have a fire involving cylinders, we would urge them to notify the firefighters on scene as early as possible so we can safely deal with these.

“This is also a timely reminder that businesses and residents alike should take great care if they are going to light a bonfire, by ensuring it is well away from property and flammable materials. We would instead advise people to take any waste to their local waste and recycling centre.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter