Oyez! Oyez! Candidates wanted for competition to find new Chatteris town crier
- Credit: Archant
Do you have a powerful voice and are you happy to dress up and perform in public?
If the answer to both questions is yes, Chatteris Town Council may have just the competition for you.
The council is on the lookout for a town crier for 2015-16 and is organising a competition during the Christmas lights switch-on evening to find a volunteer to take on that role.
Competitors will be invited to write and give a cry lasting a maximum of two minutes. The only stipulation is that the cry should not be too serious.
The cries will ring out at 3.30pm, just ahead of the switching on of the Christmas lights, on November 29. A judging panel will use the public’s response to the cries to decide who should become the new town crier.
You may also want to watch:
The successful applicant will be appointed as crier for two years and will be provided with an outfit and bell, which were both purchased thanks to a grant from Chatteris Morning WI.
Among their duties will be walking ahead of the parade at Chatteris Midsummer Festival to warn the crowds that the parade is on its way.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Anyone interested in applying for the position should contact town clerk Joanna Melton on 695166 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Local candidates are preferred.
CLLR JAMES CARNEY
Mayor of Chatteris