Oyez! Oyez! Chatteris needs new festival town crier as previous bellman becomes new mayor
- Credit: Archant
The search has begun for a new town crier for Chatteris Midsummer Festival after the previous bellman became the town’s new mayor.
Councillor James Carney was elected as the new mayor of Chatteris at the town council’s annual meeting.
Town clerk Joanna Melton said: “He is probably best known as the festival town crier, a role he will now have to relinquish. So the festival committee is now on the lookout for a new town crier.”
In his acceptance speech Cllr Carney said his aim for the year as mayor was to continue the good work of the town council and to carry on raising the profile of Chatteris.
The mayoress is Cllr Carney’s wife, Amy, the new deputy mayor is Councillor James Burrow.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Melton said: “Cllr Carney has been a town councillor for three years and in that short time has been a very active member of the council, chairing the leisure group meetings, helping at the festival and setting up the council’s Twitter account.”
This year’s Chatteris Midsummer Festival takes place from June 28-29 and has an armed forces theme to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of the First World War and the 70th anniversary of D-Day.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
It will include a walking parade, an It’s a Knockout competition, dog show and arena performance on Furrowfields Park.
• Anyone interested in filling the town crier vacancy should contact Mrs Melton on 01354 695166.