Cambridgeshire pub destroyed by fire overnight
- Credit: Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service
A pub in Cambridgeshire has been destroyed by fire.
Around 50 firefighters from as far away as Saffron Walden, Huntingdon and Halstead tackled a blaze at The Chequers pub in Pampisford on Wednesday, December 8.
Crews were called to the fire at 11.15pm.
A Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "Firefighters arrived to find a well-developed fire in a flat above a pub, with flames and smoke issuing through the roof.
"Wearing breathing apparatus, they tackled the fire from the outside as the fire has spread through the roof causing it to collapse.
"The crews worked hard throughout the night to prevent the fire from spreading to neighbouring thatch properties."
The building had already been evacuated when crews arrived, and no casualties needed any treatment.
- 1 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 2 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 3 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 4 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 5 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 6 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 7 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 8 'Most stunning' The Chase contestant takes on fresh challenge
- 9 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 10 Couple up for the challenge as new high street shop launched
Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service will investigate the cause of the blaze.