Pancake Day 2019: Bacon, maple syrup and ice cream? We see why March celebrates the American way at Shooters Diner
- Credit: HARRY RUTTER
It’s Pancake Day so we put our taste buds to the test and visited Shooters American Diner in March.
Since opening around 18 months ago, the restaurant has seen pancakes become a firm favourite on their menu.
“We got the recipe especially from America and serve pancakes here for breakfast,” said owner Dan Smethurst.
“It’s a big part of our menu as it’s a staple across the pond.”
Cook Olivia Linley showed the Cambs Times how the mixture makes the perfect dish by popping it in the oven for five to 10 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
The Loaded Pancakes are topped with streaky bacon before being served with maple syrup and streaky bacon.
But ice cream and lemon are also preferred toppings.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
“So far this morning I’ve already made about 10 pancakes,” said Olivia, who has worked at Shooters for just over a year.
“It’s been really busy this Pancake Day compared to last because we’ve introduced gluten free and dairy free ones too.”
The specially preferred mixture is poured into the pan with a bit of melted butter for about a minute before being transferred to the oven.
When crisp and golden on top they are taken out, flipped over, cut in half and then served on the plate with chosen toppings.
Shooters are set to release a new menu next month, keep your eyes peeled on their Facebook page for the latest.
Food app Uber Eats revealed Cambridge’s top three favourite pancake toppings were with ice cream, strawberries and whipped cream and banana.