Paralympic flame to visit Hudson Leisure Centre, Wisbech
FENLAND may have been snubbed by organisers of the Olympic Torch Relay - but the district WILL be visited by the Paralympic flame.
Long Sutton was the only location in the Fens to enjoy a visit from the Olympic torch last month.
But the Paralympic Lantern will be on show in the Capital of the Fens on August 26, when it comes to the Hudson Leisure Centre, Wisbech.
The lantern will arrive at the centre at 12noon and will be on display throughout the afternoon. A number of Paralympic sport taster sessions will also take place.
Councillor Steve Garratt, Fenland District Council’s portfolio holder for leisure, said: “The Paralympic flame celebration is a fantastic, once in a lifetime, opportunity for the residents of Fenland to join together in a national celebration.
You may also want to watch:
“Hopefully the day will also raise the profile of disability sport in Fenland.”
Free Paralympic “give it a go” sessions will be held in table tennis (12.20-1.30pm), badminton (1.45-2.45pm), boccia (3-4pm) and hockey (4.15-5.15pm). Places must be booked for each activity. Contact the Hudson Leisure Centre on 01354 622399.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend