Parliament comes to children at Kingsfield Primary in Chatteris
- Credit: Archant
Freedom of speech and democracy was outlined to pupils at Kingsfield Primary in Chatteris when the school hosted a visit from NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay.
The visit involved him discussing democracy, voting and how parliament works during their school assembly.
Mr Barclay spoke to the pupils about his day to day role as an MP,followed by a wide range of questions from the children.
Headteacher Jo Tomlins said: “It was fabulous to be joined by Mr Barclay today, for the children to hear of his aspirations as a child and his journey to becoming an MP.
“They were incredibly interested in the day to day organisation of parliament and Stephen’s role within that.
“Our children suggested that MPs should be elected in the same way we elect our school council representatives which is one boy and one girl from each class.”
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 8 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 9 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 10 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body