Doddington woman braves the shave to raise hundreds for charity after friend’s cancer diagnosis
- Credit: Archant
A Doddington woman who braved the shave has raised more than £600 for a charity that’s close to her heart.
Pat Alderton decided to have her hair cut off at The George pub in the village after her friend of 45 years found out he had stage two prostate cancer.
She said: "He had a four-hour operation to remove it and now has the agonising wait to see if they have got the whole cancer out.
"It was also his birthday on Thursday, so I chose to do this for him as a present - and for anyone that has this awful illness."
The pub is taking donations and so far over £600 has been raised for Prostate Cancer UK but Pat is hoping to raise a total of £750.
You may also want to watch:
Pat added: "The thing is cancer doesn't care who it affects and prostate cancer can affect our friends, dads, uncles, brothers or grandads.
"Some people may think this might be a bit of an extreme way of raising money but I was happy to do it.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 NFU president visits Wimblington on East Anglia tour
"The initial idea was mentioned by my friend's nine-year-old granddaughter but he said no as she has lovely long hair and is young.
"So I thought if Emily cant do this I can, so I did. I never thought I would raise what I have up to now, I am overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity of people because every donation helps whether big or small."
To donate pop into The George pub or visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/pat-alderton