Doddington woman braves the shave to raise hundreds for charity after friend’s cancer diagnosis
- Credit: Archant
A Doddington woman who braved the shave has raised more than £600 for a charity that’s close to her heart.
Pat Alderton decided to have her hair cut off at The George pub in the village after her friend of 45 years found out he had stage two prostate cancer.
She said: "He had a four-hour operation to remove it and now has the agonising wait to see if they have got the whole cancer out.
"It was also his birthday on Thursday, so I chose to do this for him as a present - and for anyone that has this awful illness."
The pub is taking donations and so far over £600 has been raised for Prostate Cancer UK but Pat is hoping to raise a total of £750.
You may also want to watch:
Pat added: "The thing is cancer doesn't care who it affects and prostate cancer can affect our friends, dads, uncles, brothers or grandads.
"Some people may think this might be a bit of an extreme way of raising money but I was happy to do it.
- 1 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 2 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 5 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 6 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 7 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 8 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 9 Homes 'siloed on edge of village like old-style council estate'
- 10 Tributes to 'loving, kind family man' and community stalwart
"The initial idea was mentioned by my friend's nine-year-old granddaughter but he said no as she has lovely long hair and is young.
"So I thought if Emily cant do this I can, so I did. I never thought I would raise what I have up to now, I am overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity of people because every donation helps whether big or small."
To donate pop into The George pub or visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/pat-alderton