Pavilion fund boosted by �1,000 after Gorefield parish council chairman celebrates his 60th
A SURPRISE 60th birthday party for Councillor Michael Humphrey led to a �1,000 being donated to the Gorefield pavilion fund, thanks to the generosity of his friends and family.
Cllr Humphrey - chairman of Gorefield Parish Council and Fenland District Council - thought he was just going out for a quiet meal with family to mark his big day, but was thrilled to find himself celebrating the milestone in style.
He explained: “ The hush hush invitation asked for donations to a village cause dear to my heart, that was instead of any presents.I am pleased to say that �940 was the result of those generous gifts, which I have rounded up to �1,000.” The money will go towards the project to build and equip a new sport and community pavilion on the playing field at Gorefield.
The party at the Knight’s Hill Hotel in King’s Lynn was organised by Cllr Humphrey’s wife Marie and their daughter Krystal. He said: “With the tight lipped support of family, friends and colleagues they managed to pull it off, with me thinking I was off out for a Sunday evening carvery.
“It was only when arriving at the venue that the sight of so many familiar looking vehicles in the car park arose my suspicions. What a lovely evening it was, so unexpected, and so special to be surrounded by my family, my friends some from near and far, some from way back when, and some from here and now, plus council colleagues and civic leaders to name but a few.
You may also want to watch:
“I am extremely grateful to everyone for their support and friendship, and I feel privileged to have such a wonderful wife and family beside me.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend