Pensioner faces iron bar terror
A PENSIONER was grabbed around the neck and threatened with an iron bar at the home she shares with her husband in the Fens. The 72-year-old woman from Guyhirn, near Wisbech, was watching television at about 11am last Tuesday (June 12) when she heard a do
A PENSIONER was grabbed around the neck and threatened with an iron bar at the home she shares with her husband in the Fens.
The 72-year-old woman from Guyhirn, near Wisbech, was watching television at about 11am last Tuesday (June 12) when she heard a door open. The woman assumed it was her husband until she was grabbed from behind.
Her attacker hooked one arm around her neck and placed a hand over her mouth.
Another man then threatened the woman with an iron bar while a third searched through her belongings.
You may also want to watch:
The men kept demanding money from the woman, which she did not have. The men eventually fled empty-handed.
The woman's husband, who is also in his 70s, was asleep upstairs at the time of the break-in.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
Detective Sergeant Dave York, who is investigating, said: "This was a despicable attack on a frail and elderly woman.
"Despite her obvious terror, this woman bravely fought through her ordeal, even managing to pull down a scarf covering one of the men's faces so she could see what he looked like.
"I would now urge anyone who saw any suspicious activity in the Guyhirn area on Tuesday to come forward and speak to police.
"These men, who were willing to forcibly restrain an elderly woman, do not deserve protection from family or friends.
"If you know who they are, please tell us. You can speak to officers in confidence and do not have to give your name.
"I am also keen to speak to anyone who saw a silver or grey coloured BMW 5 series in the Guyhirn area that evening."
The men are described as wearing dark coloured clothing and balaclavas or scarves over their faces.
Anyone with information should contact Det Sgt York at Wisbech Police Station on 0845 456 456 4 or call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.