Permission granted for new shop in Benwick
- Credit: Archant
A NEW convenience store is set to be built in a Fenland village after councillors said a building could make way for a shop and two flats.
Fenland District Council’s planning committee approved plans by Manea businessman Bharat Sisodiya to build a shop in Lilyholt Road, Benwick.
Mr Sisodiya runs Londis, a general store, at Park Road, Manea.
He said: “I could not believe that the people of Benwick had to do without a shop for many years.
“The reaction I’ve got is that people are excited about the shop and looking forward to using it.
You may also want to watch:
“It will be a Londis general store. We don’t want to put an exact date on it but we hope to be open early next year.”
Lee Bevens, Mr Sisodiya’s agent, welcomed the decision.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
He said: “The majority of residents we have spoken to seem to be chuffed that they are finally going to get a shop back in the village.”
The proposal had been opposed by Benwick Parish Council and highways officers, who raised concerns about a lack of parking spaces.
But planners said: “We support development that will regenerate and cater for the retail needs of communities.”